[time-nuts] GPSDO disciplining algorithms

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:57:08 EDT 2015

I think a GPSDO is different from "GPS disciplining".   In a GPSDO you
are disciplining a local oscillator, not a GPS system.

Algorithms used to discipline oscillators are also used and were
developed for other uses.  For example it is common to use a PID to
discipline a local oscillator.  The PID algorithm predates GPS by more
than a half century.

The algorithm is not complex.  The hard part is selecting constants

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 6:03 AM, Alan Ambrose <alan.ambrose at anagram.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in GPSDO disciplining algorithms - presumably the good ones are really well thought out stochastic control algorithms.
>
> Is it possible to point me to the seminal references / papers / datasheets that describe typical algorithms and the advantages and disadvantages of the various approaches?
>
> I can see, for example:
>
> http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/papers/ts-2000/gpstime.steering.kmm.ion.sep00.pdf
>
> Am I right in thinking that this subject area usually called 'GPS disciplining' or 'GPS steering' in the literature?
>
> TIA, Alan

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California