[time-nuts] Signal/Phase noise analyzer

John Miles john at miles.io
Wed Apr 22 18:18:41 EDT 2015

> I'm searching for the less expensive signal analyzer to perform phase noise
> measurements on OCXO's. There is no need to go above 400 MHz - 1 GHz. I'm
> particularly interested on low frequency offset and good close in phase noise
> specs. Any recommendations?

Tough to say without a budget range.  Less expensive than what, specifically?  You could put together an HP 3048A system from surplus hardware for a couple thousand Euros, or buy a new microwave PN test set from any of several companies (Holzworth, NoiseXT, Berkeley Nucleonics, Wenzel...) at a higher price with factory support included.  All of them will be less expensive than, say, a brand-new E5052B, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're affordable.

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC