[time-nuts] I wish to shorten GPS antenna cable - should I let receiver find the position again?

Henry Hallam henry at pericynthion.org
Thu Apr 23 15:50:12 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 5:03 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave
Ltd) <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:
> I have an HP 58503A which I am using as a frequency source only - not
> to tell the time. I want to shorted the antenna cable a bit, but are
> wondering if I should let the GPS receiver finds it position again. Or
> either of the following better
>
> * Remove antenna cable, put a new N plug on, and screw it back in with
> the receiver kept powered up all the time.
> * Power off GPS receiver and power it back on with the cable connected.
>
> I'm not moving the antenna, so the actual position will not change,
> but of course the signals will get to the receiver a bit sooner.

If the goal is minimizing downtime and duration of degraded quality
output, I would go with the former.  The 58503A will enter holdover
mode.  It will keep its oven warm and retain its learned oscillator
model parameters.  When you reconnect the antenna it will pick right
back up where it left off, with minimal settling time.

Henry