[time-nuts] Once again about counter calibration

Dave Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 00:30:24 EDT 2015

The problem with using a 1 Hz reference when looking at a nominal 10 MHz
signal is that you will get a stable scope display with no drift when the
input is *any* integer number of cycles/sec.  So 10,000,000 Hz will give a
stable display, but so will 9,999,999 Hz and 10,000,001 Hz.  Unless you
know that your 10 MHz signal is already within 0.5 Hz of the correct
frequency, the drift method is likely to cause you to adjust to the nearest
integer number of Hz, not exactly 10 MHz as you want.

It's better to start out with input and reference that are the same
frequency, or are related by some small integer factor.  So you can compare
a 10 MHz adjustable oscillator to a reference that is 1 MHz or 5 MHz or 10
MHz or 20 MHz.  For a stable scope trace, connect the lower of the two
frequencies to the scope trigger input, and the higher frequency to the
scope waveform input.  Then adjust for zero drift.

Also, use an analog oscilloscope if you have one (or a digital scope with a
high waveform update rate).  An analog scope will clearly show a high drift
rate as a smeared waveform, so you will know that you need to keep
adjusting the frequency trimmer and (probably in which direction).  With a
low-cost digital scope, you can get beat frequencies between the drift
frequency and the screen update rate that make it appear as if the input
waveform is stationary, when it fact it is drifting rapidly.

- Dave