[time-nuts] Getting Better All the Time: JILA Strontium Atomic Clock Sets New Records

d0ct0r time at patoka.org
Mon Apr 27 14:49:37 EDT 2015

"In another advance at the far frontiers of timekeeping by National
Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) researchers, the latest
modification of a record-setting strontium atomic clock has achieved
precision and stability levels that now mean the clock would neither
gain nor lose one second in some 15 billion years*—roughly the age of
the universe".

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div689/20150421_strontium_clock.cfm

"Our performance means that we can measure the gravitational shift when
you raise the clock just 2 centimeters [0.79 inches] on the Earth's
surface," study co-author Jun Ye, a physicist at JILA, a joint institute
of the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the University
of Colorado, Boulder, said in a statement.

--
WBW,

V.P.