[time-nuts] Running voltages through MVAR (In re: HP5065)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Aug 23 15:58:58 EDT 2015

Poul-Henning,

Using ADEV and MDEV, and indeed TDEV as TVB points out, for analyzing
other physical signals than phase/frequency is maybe not very common,
but if Kocher if you know your field well enough.

David Allan and I discuss this every once in a while. ADEV/MDEV and
friends is really the statistical tools to analyze and separate noises
of different slopes. Together with the bias functions you can use it to
verify you have the white noise you assume, and only then you can
rightfully make use of that property to meet the intention of GUM.

Flicker noise is indeed one such noise-form that does require better
tooling.

Don't forget to use FFT as well as analyzing non-repetitive systematic
trends. I'd love to see the raw data more closely.

So keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Magnus