[time-nuts] FLL errors

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Aug 29 04:47:51 EDT 2015

I think you put too much into the detector without concerning the rest
of the design. The XOR gate is a 1-bit multiplier. If you have nice and
clean "digital" signals, it is a good choice.

What makes a PLL or FLL a poor design is not down to only the detector,
it is also to the rest of the design. Using a simple low-pass filter is
possible, but doesn't make a good PLL or FLL. A poor FLL only has a
gain-stage, or act as if it only had a gain stage, and then the gain
will determine out of the unsteered frequency difference /|f0, the
remaining frequency difference /|f is /|f0 / G. Similarly in a poor PLL,
the gain will determine how large phase error it takes to generate the
frequency correction.

Using an integrator to build up the state for frequency error, FLLs goes
towards biases in frequency errors and PLLs goes into biases in phase
errors. You want to control the damping in PLLs, so you end up with a PI
loop controler.

There is tricks being played with phase-detectors to make the frequency
and phase-lock quicker, more stable etc. You can play with heuristics
and you can play with parameter settings. Playing with the detector part
is only one out of many tricks.

I've been ashamed of larger design errors than using a XOR gate, let me
tell you.

Warren did a nice design that unwrapped XOR gates to form a sawtooth 360
degree detector rather than the normal 180 degree triangular detector.

As for noise into any form of "digital" detector having non-sine
response, it will degrade the detector into a sine-like response.

Cheers,
Magnus