[time-nuts] FLL errors

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Aug 29 05:12:30 EDT 2015

Hi again,

A frequency detector uses a phase-memory one way or another.
Digital FLL detectors recall the sequence of events, see 4046
Phase-Frequency Detector.

Using a phase detector, just differentiate the phase data to get a
frequency difference estimate, however phase-wrapping usually upset the
result. In digital processing avoiding the wrapping upsetting the result
is relatively trivial.

The combined form of phase and frequency detector can take the form of a
+/- 180 degree phase detector range, but as the phase tries to wrap
over, you "lock" to the upper or lower limit to force the integrator to
integrate the frequency compensation in the right direction and
eventually be close enough to hand over to the phase-detector part. This
is for instance what the 4046 detector does, but it has been used elsewhere.

The 4046 has a charge-pump. Hailed by many. Frankly, it's a bad solution
in my mind. The dead-band can be a killer, as I've seen first hand.
There is the 7046 and 9046 naturally.

Doing a phase-detector PI look, a quick FLL type of lock can be achieved
by letting the damping be very high, that is a very high P factor. This
is the AC-path, letting the side-band modulation be high (too high is
however counter-acting) through the Bessel polynomials.

There is so many ways to do this.

In the end, I only consider FLL in context of locking up my PLL fast,
unless I lock to an atomic standard.

Cheers,
Magnus