[time-nuts] Why would Keysight UK uncertainty measuring 1 MHz be as high as 7.6 Hz?

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sat Aug 29 07:59:21 EDT 2015

Hello,

The calibration certificate does not indicate that the measurements were
done with the frequency counters referenced to the 5071A at the time of
calbiration (if so, it would be listed under the Calibration Equipment
Used table). It says that the 53132A were calibrated against the 5071A.

If for your calibration they have used 53132A witout the oven oscillator
option it is very probable that its uncertainity is 7.6ppm as indicated
in the certificate. Since the maximum error tolerable for the LCR meter
is 100ppm (+/-100Hz @ 1MHz), it makes sense to perform the measurement
with an instrument with an uncertainity of 7.6ppm, and not to use the
better counter in the lab for that purpose.

Regards,

Javier