[time-nuts] HP5065A C-field current is temperature sensitive

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Sun Aug 30 08:05:14 EDT 2015

Bob,

agreed. But in the 5065A C-field circuit, the pot is wired as a variable
resistor.
The Bourns data sheets specifies +/- 50 ppm / deg C max.
Together with the two series resistors, the effective TC of the pot
drops to about 20 ppm.
That is indeed just 2 times more than the effective temperature
coefficient of the reference diode (1N938).

Btw. the 1N938 is running at about 7.5 mA +/- 1 mA, not at 12 mA as
mentioned earlier.
Some 3.5 to 5.5 mA are going through R8, R6, R12.
To get the correct diode current, this current has to be subtractrd from
the total current through R7 (Q5, Q6 base currents neglected).

Adrian