[time-nuts] KS-24361 REF-0 standalone

Daniel Watson watsondaniel3 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 22:53:19 EDT 2015

All,

I hope some more of you have had luck getting your REF-0s running
standalone.

My earlier write-ups were focused on the bare minimum connections and code
needed to make a REF-0 work. Of course, external connections are not ideal
for long-term operations. The real end-state here is to have a nice board
with a modern GPS that will install cleanly inside the REF-0. I have
completed another write-up showing my work toward that goal. I show how you
can access all of the necessary pins on the REF-0 directly on the board,
without using the external Interface connector. I also show a simple
prototype of my custom REF-0 GPS board.

Here's the write-up:

http://syncchannel.blogspot.com/2015/08/prototyping-gps-board-for-ks-24361-ref-0.html

If you just want to solder something together, you can easily house your
microcontroller and GPS on some protoboard as I did. This is the protoboard
I used, it fits almost perfectly where a real Oncore GPS would go. I just
had to widen the mounting holes with a drill.

http://www.amazon.com/10Pcs-Double-Sided-Protoboard-Prototyping/dp/B00NQ387TY

Beyond the prototype though, I personally want a nice PCB with a Ublox on
it for my REF-0s. I plan to work on that as I have time. Though now that my
summer break is over, time is a bit harder to find. :)

Regards,

Dan W.