[time-nuts] HP5065A C-field current is temperature sensitive

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Aug 31 08:47:34 EDT 2015

Hi Bob,

I haven't seen anyone bashing the designer, or the design of the 5065.
What I have seen a couple of enthusiasts that love the unit enough that
they are willing to spend countless hours bringing a couple of parts of
the design up to a more recent state of the art.  Corby's modifications
to the optics added stability that no one anywhere has achieved in a Rb
standard.  PHK's changes to the oven may achieve a similar improvement.

Between the two of them, the 5065 is looking pretty nice!

In my experience, there are quite a few pieces of equipment where people
are willing to take the relatively minor effort to repair them to match
their original specifications, but very few where people are impressed
enough with the foundation parts that they are willing to spend the
great amounts of time it takes to fully understand and modernize the
design.

I think that speaks well for the designers of the 5065.

-Chuck Harris