[time-nuts] HP5065A C-field current is temperature sensitive

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 31 12:17:57 EDT 2015

Poul-Henning,

On 08/31/2015 08:28 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <55E39AF2.2050708 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:
>
>> Ehm, eh... that transistor pair you have there. How *tight* together is
>> really the transistors thermal connection? I bet not all that good.
>
> They're in the same TO5, but I don't know if they're the same die.
>
> I have about 45-50 microvolt difference between their bases.

Monitor that over time to see if there is a correlation.
The current will vary more than the voltage would illustrate, due to the
exponential properties.

>> Anyway, the take-away is that you should look at that discrete
>> op-amp and see if it is not causing you the thermal dependence you are
>> trying to locate. Maybe replace it with a more modern op-amp like the
>> 741 or something (irony may have been used).
>
> Yes, that is absolutely the plan.
>
> The integrator and AC-amplifier in the HP5065 gets upgraded to
> chip op-amps in later revs, but this one does not.

Indeed. Modern low-offset op-amps has temperature-gradient input stages,
and is a marvel of stability compared to what the original 5065
designers could do easily. Seems like their transistor pair choice
solved quite a bit of the issues, but as we look to shave of
disturbances it is worth looking at.

Tempted to mod up my 5065s now.

Cheers,
Magnus