[time-nuts] WWVB KD2BD receiver update

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 17:59:46 EST 2015

Have run numbers of tests on the receiver and have to say for what it is it
works pretty well. No GPSDO. Watching it you can see the costas loop
behavior and filtering. It advances and retards +/- 100ns. That may be the
very optimum result. I sometimes suspect its wider then that.

Have added a classic d-psk-r to the 60 KHz channel and am watching it on a
fluke 207 with chart. Looks quite good though at the moment I should get
with the sunset effects. But will let it run. What has not happened so far
is the 180 degree phase jump due to loss of lock or phase slip.

Have added the noise gate and though I didn't think there was any noise
there actually is. So I can watch and listen to the static hits.

Its a shame this receiver doesn't have a PC board it took a while to wire
everything so I suspect few will build it.

Have pulled a chassis and am looking at how and what to stuff into it.
It draws 400 ma at 12 V steady state when the OCXO is warm. Cold about 1
amp for about 10 minutes or less. Pretty darned fast warm up. Easily runs
on a nice 7amp Gel cell.

Regards
Paul
WB8TSL