[time-nuts] RG 6 U couplings

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Dec 6 07:21:03 EST 2015

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 17:06:03 -0800
Mark Spencer <mark at alignedsolutions.com> wrote:

> Over the years I've used a number of CATV style 75 ohm patch cords
> with F connectors, F female to female couplers and F to other connector
> adaptors to distribute gps signals from my GPS splitter to various
> receivers.   I've never been able to notice any difference in reported
> signal strength vs using "brand name" 50 ohm coax with N connectors.

Well, putting the numbers into a calculator gives:
VSWR: 1.5
Load Return loss: -14dB
Load Mismatch Attenuation: -0.2dB

I'd say that for a receiver, this is quite negligible. Heck, even 1dB
loss wouldn't hurt too much. I would suggest, that for all practical
purposes, the use of (good) satellite coax cable would be more than
good enough for most of us. The only thing i'm not sure about is how
the delay through the cable behaves over time (aging, temperature, humidity).
If anyone has some data on that, for different types of cables, I
would appreciate getting a copy :-)

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.