[time-nuts] HP 5065A Start-Up

timeok at timeok.it timeok at timeok.it
Fri Dec 11 01:27:17 EST 2015

Jim,

> Except...
>
> Microphonics.
>
> What's the norm here? I see it in the 2nd harmonic level on the panel
> meter. It runs about 20 normally, but a pretty light tap (with my
> fingernail) anywhere on the instrument can peg the meter for a few
> seconds. While I had the scope on A8 TP2 / TP3 (showing the off-resonance
> phase shift peak it manifested as bursts of noise) It's hard to localize -
> but I think the RVFR and Synthesizer are the most sensitive.

20 is the border level of the 2nd harmonic (20-40). After some week of continuous operation can happen the signal level  increase otherwise an adjustment is necessary.

I had the same experience on some HP5065A revived after a long period of inactivity. The microphonics is high during the first few weeks of operation, then later recedes.
I could see about a dozen HP5065A that I had in my hands that a reduced microphonics  is a feature common to all HP5065A.

Luciano