[time-nuts] RG 6 U couplings

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Dec 11 11:15:41 EST 2015

I wouldn't get too hung up over fire rating on such
cables.  Your house and shop is littered with PVC
cabling that will make lots of nice toxic smoke if
it burns.

Fire rated cable, also known as plenum cable, is special
because it is meant to be run in the ducting spaces for
the HVAC system in a commercial building.

In most commercial buildings, the entire raised ceiling
area is the intake duct for the building's HVAC system.

Because air is moving pretty rapidly in the intake plenum,
it tends to feed a fire, and when a piece of wire in an
air plenum burns, it will burn from one end to the other,
spreading the fire and making lots of smoke.... Which,
being in the air intake for the building will spread to
everywhere there is an outlet duct...

If you are planning on running the wiring in your HVAC
air ducts, then by all means use plenum wire, but anywhere
else in your house/shop is a waste.

Burning teflon wire has its own plethora of problems.

-Chuck Harris