[time-nuts] Mechanical clock sound pickup circuit

Andrea Baldoni erm1eaae7 at ermione.com
Fri Dec 11 13:44:58 EST 2015

Hello!

I decided to do some experiments with mechanical clocks, so I worked a little
on picking up escapement ticking sound, with the idea of processing it and
obtaining a "clean" digital pulse to feed a counter.

So far, I have not yet been able to find the best way to obtain a digital pulse,
but I have already built the preamp for the piezoelectrick pickup, that
I used to feed the mic input of a PC sound card for spectrum analysis.

The timing could eventually be done in software because the whole idea of
measuring watches by picking up their noise almost surely doesn't allow high
resolution anyway, but I will plan to try hardware solutions as well in the
future. I hope to be able to measure the jitter of the clock, but it will be
very hard.

In the meantime, with the free software Biburo you can download here

http://tokeiyade.michikusa.jp

you can regulate your wrist watch.

Best regards,
Andrea Baldoni