[time-nuts] Mechanical clock sound pickup circuit

Dave Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 10:15:53 EST 2015

Someone is in the process of writing open-source watch timing software.
You may want to look into it.

It was announced here:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/open-source-timing-software-2542874-post21977314.html#poststop

It contains these links:
First the goodies. Here are Windows binaries
http://ciovil.li/tg.zip
and here is the full source code
https://github.com/vacaboja/tg

Apparently this software is better at dealing with noisy signals from
microphones than Biburo.  Since it's open source, you can see what it's
doing internally.  It expects an analog input, and does its own filtering
to find the interesting edges within the sound of each tick.

The precision with which you can time events is likely to be limited by the
frequency response of your sensor and the amplifier.  If that's limited to
20 kHz, a standard PC sound card is adequate.  For up to 80 kHz or so, you
can buy a relatively inexpensive USB "audio interface" that digitizes at
192 kHz (typically 24 bit resolution).  At somewhat higher cost, you can
get professional audio interfaces that accept an external clock source.

- Dave