[time-nuts] End of Loran-C in Europe confirmed.

Rob Kimberley robkimberley at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 17 07:37:10 EST 2015

Sad news..

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On Behalf Of Poul-Henning Kamp
Sent: 17 December 2015 10:51
To: time-nuts at febo.com
Subject: [time-nuts] End of Loran-C in Europe confirmed.

I've spent some time tracking this down, but it looks like all Loran-C in Europe shuts down on new-years eve.

The only station I have not found official confirmation for is Sylt, but France, Norway, Denmark and UK have all officially announced shut-down of their stations.

It seems that they have also agreed to not dismantle anything until
2017 "In case something political happens".

Poul-Henning

PS: I havn't checked recently if the Russian Chayka still transmits, they've never been usable for me because the 8000µs GRI gets trashed by any [V]LF transmitter on a integral kHz frequency, which is pretty much all of them.

PPS: During my research I noticed that the guy who comes closest to being the inventor of Loran-[ABCF] and OMEGA, John *Alvin* Pierce, doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

Somebody with more time than me should rectify that.

Here, in his own words, is the story of how US military saw the light in radio-navigation:

        http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/jack_pierce.html#spring

The full memoir is 1st. class nerd-reading.