[time-nuts] SMD TADD-1 distribution amplifier - seeking comments and suggestions?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Dec 19 10:09:56 EST 2015

Tim,

There is two major strategies as you build a system and needs to figure
out how your ground bonding network (often just referred to bonding
network or grounding) should operate.

The isolation strategy says that the various equipments should only be
power grounded, as required for personal safety, and then have all other
grounding paths "galvanically separated" (thus, DC and power frequencies
separated in common mode).

The mesh strategy says that you extend the grounding of the power ground
with additional grounding with every cable and additional grounding
cables. This strategy strengthen with every cable you pull, as the
conductance increases. Any potential difference produce a current that
is current shared by the shunted conductors. It is common to explicitly
add main grounding conductors to take the main current and reduce the
current on other cables.

The difficulty with the isolation strategy is that if you happens to
make contact with ground, you can now be the source of a large current
to average out the potential, and that may not be what you want to see
on your coax cable for instance. We have pointed out that it may not be
so nice that we have sparks jumping the connectors on broadcast
equipment, as we saw once.

Another difficulty with the isolation strategy is that it makes the EMC
aspect harder to do, as you want the shield of your cable to extend the
shield of your box, and not become a source of energy emitting out on
the cable and thus be a conducted source of RF emission (and reception).
The RF choke with associated capacitance (or conductance, the important
being low-impedance path) on both sides is the way to go to achieve good
common mode RF rejection.

In the mesh strategy, you can skip transformers most of the time and
only use RF chokes, and then mostly to decouple the chassi and PCB
RF-wise on common mode.

Measurement instruments is most of the times built for the mesh
strategy, with BNC/SMA/N connectors hard-tied to the chassi. There is
the braindead idea to cut the chassi to ground connection, which do make
some measurements easier, but kills the safety. If you follow the mesh
strategy, you have the star-ground of the power-system complemented with
additional grounding wires of the racks etc.
So, you wire your instruments together, and then provide multiple ground
connections to your DUT. You need to figure out how to avoid common mode
to differential mode conversions, but that is not unique to the mesh BN
strategy, it's even more important in the isolation BN strategy as you
have higher potentials to isolate.

Even when having the majority of the rig being mesh BN style, for some
measurement connections it can be beneficial to do DC separation of
common mode, in which case transformers or capacitors can provide
isolation. I prefer to use differential amps when possible, and for some
reason the 1 GHz differential probe is often used in the lab.

As a reference, Ethernet is designed to work in an isolation BN setup,
because the Ethernet connections often span over an office building,
between different branches of the power distribution for which the
grounding wires can have quite different potential and hence there being
a potential difference that can produce a sizeable current. It also runs
in environments where typical does not understand grounding issues, and
where by local code and design of equipment, they have a star grounding
network and no concept of interconnection between consumers (think of
lamps, radiators, kitchen stoves and ovens and similar "simple" devices).

Also recall that the first rule of thumb for electrical safety is that
the first connection you make to a box is ground, and the last
connection you remove is to ground. Thus, a box shall at least be
grounded for safety, and only when grounded it will receive power, from
anywhere.

There is more war-stories to be told.

Cheers,
Magnus