[time-nuts] 10544A vs. 10811

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Feb 1 13:51:17 EST 2015

The other big difference is that the 10811 uses
an SC cut crystal instead of an AT cut crystal.
 From a cold start, the SC achieves a given stability
much faster than an AT cut.  If you are just going
to run the oven continuously (likely mode for time
nuts), this isn't any big deal to you.

The reason why the phase noise is better is not
so much due to the SC cut crystal, but rather to
the grounded base output buffer in the 10811.

A 10811 is guaranteed to work in any 10544 socket
in HP equipment.  They had to do this so that they
could stop making 10544's as soon as the 10811 was
introduced.

Rick Karlquist N6RK