[time-nuts] Looking for advice to get a submillisecond setup

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 11:40:41 EST 2015

I think you're getting into receivers that are well into the hundreds of
> dollars range, if bought new.
>
> For an inexpensive "NTP for few hundred dollars to get better than a
> millisecond" end of things, I think the integrated GPS antenna/receiver
> with a suitable computer right next to it is the way to go.  Then you're
> just running a network cable and power.

I paid $36 for two Motorola Oncore receivers.  These are 55 nanosecond (1
sigma) timing receivers.  I think today they cost about $25 each.  I paid
$27 for the timing antenna that is a helix the inside a pointed redone.
The dome has screw holes that fit a common galvanized pipe flange.  This is
not an expensive setup and the parts are all there on eBay.  You need to
add a power supply.  I use a plug-in power cube.

But as I said.  Use what you have all GPS receivers have more precision
than NTP can make use of.  You don't need high-end gear if the requirement
is only "sub millisecond".

Mostly I'd say don't spend money on performance you don't need but in some
cases you get great performance for less money.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California