[time-nuts] OXCO insulation

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 21:47:40 EST 2015

On 2/24/15 4:32 PM, Dave M wrote:
> Ok, there has been a couple replies suggesting aerogel.  I've read a bit
> about it, and understand that it's extremely light and effective, but
> quite difficult for a hobbyist to make.  Also, probably very expensive.
> Is there a source for very small quantities of it?  Is is flexible
> enough to wrap around a cubical or cylindrical object without destroying
> it?

No.. you cut it into pieces at least the stuff I've seen.

www.aerogel.com/

http://www.buyaerogel.com/  appears to be a more retail-ey site and they
have a flexible aerogel "thermal wrap".. about a square foot 6mm (1/4"?)
thick for $25.  Dust free as opposed to:

here's another choice
http://www.buyaerogel.com/product/spaceloft-10-mm-cut-to-size/
10mm thick, minimum purchase is 5ft x 58" so it's a pretty big investment