[time-nuts] OXCO insulation

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Feb 25 07:32:02 EST 2015

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:16:58 +0100
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> Actually, you should put the temp sensor close to the heater, not the crystal.
> The delay between the actuator (heater) and the feedback (temperature sensor)
> defines the dead time. The presence of a crystal somewhere in the system is
> of no importance to the oven controller, it's just additional thermal weight.

Bob Camp just reminded me of Rick Karlquist's papers on this topic:

"A low Profile High-Performance Crystal Oscillator for Timekeeping
Applications", by Karlquist, Cutler, Ingman, Johnson, Parisek, 1997
http://www.karlquist.com/osc.pdf

"The Theory of Zero-Gradient Crystal Ovens",
by Karlquist, Cutler, Ingman, Johnson, Parisek, 1997
http://www.karlquist.com/oven.pdf

More can be found on his homepage: http://www.karlquist.com/

A bit more theoretic, but maybe also of interest:

"OCXO Design Using Composite Heating of the Crystal Resonator",
by Abramson, 1994
http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/58.279145

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.