[time-nuts] New Years Eve TV countdown

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Thu Jan 1 05:08:04 EST 2015

TV doesn't seem to care about time sync much these days. It also depends
a lot on the path getting to you,

I get most of my TV via satellite (Dish network). The receiver I have
also can get OTA. I have happened to notice, once, that I had a local
channel on two TVs. One was receiving the local via satellite and one
was tuned to OTA local broadcast. The satellite was many seconds (at
least 5, probably more) behind the OTA. I walked from one room to the
other and had a brief period of deja vu. Hmm, just occurred to me, an
earphone on the early one while watching the later one with friends
would make you a living room Jeopardy game show super star.

But that satellite delay all makes sense.

One thing annoys me though. Many channels don't care much about start
and stop times. If I program something to record using the schedule,
often I miss the end of it. They frequently go over the half-hour or
hour mark by a minute or two. Occasionally they complicate it more by
starting a show a little early too. That irks me.

But for New Years, I didn't try to measure anything exactly, but I know
they were off by about 3 hrs. I live in California. I was watching New
York's events on my TV and the ball dropped at about midnight local
time. I am enough of a time nut to know that should have happened at 9
PM local time.

See, you just can't trust the media for accuracy these days.