[time-nuts] schematics of frequency counter

Li Ang lllaaa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 00:39:23 EST 2015

hi Neil,
  TPS79333 is quite cheap and adm7150 is 60 times the price of it. These 2
ldo has different package, it not easy to replace it directly. I have tried
power the system with 18650 battery, the performace is almost the same with
5v from laptop USB port. So I think psrr might not be a issue.
 If the noise generated by LDO is the problem, can I filter it out by
puting more caps?

Neil Schroeder <gigneil at gmail.com>于2015年1月3日星期六写道:

http://www.analog.com/en/power-management/linear-regulators/adm7155/products/product.html

http://www.analog.com/en/power-management/linear-regulators/adm7150/products/product.html

> [...]
>
> NS
>
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 5:34 AM, Li Ang <lllaaa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Charles,
>>    In my circuit, the VCC is 5v. I've noticed my bias and emitter
resistor
>> is something need to be changed. I will play with the resistors and see
if
>> it improves. Thanks.

>> > Li Ang wrote:
>> >
>> >  RF pnp transistor is harder to get. I would like the front end works

>> the
>> >>

>> > You want the circuit to switch near the mid-point of the input sine
wave,
>> > and at exactly the same place every time.  How you bias the transistors
>> > determines how well this is accomplished.
>> >
>> > You also want the output to switch fast and cleanly between a low
voltage
>> > very near 0v ("ground") to a high voltage very near 3v (Vcc, logic
high).
>> > An NPN cannot do that, biased the way that you have them connected (the
>> > emitter of the output transistor Q301 can only pull the output down to
>> > little less than 1v due to R315, which may sort of work but is not a
>> proper
>> > way to run 3v logic).  This operation also saturates Q301, which is bad
>> for
>> > performance.  See simulated results below.
>> >
>> > In order for an NPN to provide a useful output for 3v logic, (i) its
>> > emitter must be grounded, and (ii) it must either be run into
saturation
>> or
>> > use a Baker clamp.  Running the transistor into saturation must be
>> avoided,
>> > particularly if you want to reach 300MHz, and a Baker clamp raises the
>> > "logic low" output voltage to >0.5v (not a good thing with 3v logic).
>> So,
>> > it is very much better to use a PNP differential pair.  For a 300MHz
>> > circuit, I would use BFT93 (and even that barely gets you to 300MHz).
>> >
>> >  2) what's is the C4 in your circuit for?
>> >>

>> > C4 makes Q1 and Q2 a differential (emitter-coupled) pair at RF
>> > frequencies, but not at DC.  So, the circuit has no gain at DC and
>> > therefore the DC errors between Q1 and Q2 cause much less output error
>> than
>> > they would if the emitters were connected directly together.
>> >
>> >  3) If the noise is more important than the gain, what kind of
transistor
>> beyond
>> >>

>> > Far beyond.  The Ft is the frequency where a transistor completely runs
>> > out of gain.  You want to operate at a much lower frequency where the
>> > transistor still has substantial gain, particularly with fast RF
>> > transistors, which generally have much lower DC hfe than
general-purpose
>> > transistors like 3904 and 3906.  Note that the simulation of the
circuit
>> > you published (simulated results below) barely works at even 20MHz.
As I