[time-nuts] Any reason not to use one power amplifier and splitter for distribution amplifier?

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 12:24:49 EST 2015

Just to say, the comment on the graphs that the VNA covers 50 MHz to 20
MHz, is obviously wrong.  My 8720D covers 50 MHz to 20 GHz.

I do have another couple of VNAs here that cover 10 MHz. I will do some
more measurements, with a more suitable VNA when I have both splitters here
and some time for something that's not a high priority.

I am not yet writing off the possibility of using the power amp and one of
these 16-way splitters, as I probably have enough bits in my junk box to do
it; and my initial observations are that the isolation doesn't depend too
much on the terminations on unused ports.

Bob questioned the need for 16 ports. I counted up and I have 9 bits of
test kit which take an external reference.  So having 16 ports, while
nearly double I need now, is not so grossly over the top.

Dave