[time-nuts] question Alan deviation measured with Timelab and counters

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jan 9 17:56:52 EST 2015

Hi

If your only instrument is a counter.

— and —

You never measure past 1x10^-10 with that counter

— and —

Measurements that bounce around with a standard deviation of the difference between readings of 1x10^-10 are ok.

— then —

No, you don’t need anything better than a 1x10^-10 ADEV.

Most people would be bothered by a counter that has an typical jump of 1x10^-10 between every reading, so most would want a standard that’s a bit better than that.

In addition, if you want to guarantee accuracy of a reading, you probably want something that’s 5X to 10X better than the level that stops the reading jitter.

Simply put - ADEV is not standard deviation of frequency. Your frequency counter measures frequency. Going from one to the other means you want to have better ADEV than you might think.

Bob