[time-nuts] June 30 2015 leap second

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Sun Jan 11 10:15:36 EST 2015

I've often wondered why more systems don't use TAI or other similar time scales as their time source.   If needed the time displayed to end users or third parties could be converted to UTC just prior to presentation or transmittal.

For example a financial system that needs to time stamp individual transactions could sync their system clocks to TAI.   As the difference between TAI and UTC changed (or was scheduled to change) a lookup table could be updated that would provide the offset between UTC and TAI for given date ranges.

Sent from my iPad