[time-nuts] question Alan deviation measured with Timelab and counters

Stéphane Rey steph.rey at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 14 13:30:29 EST 2015

Bonjour Magnus,

Many thanks for your very long and detailed answer. I've read quickly bu will go deeper tonight.

Here are the results of today experiments... which are not giving anything valuable... I still don't understand the results I get  :-/

With the PM6654C, I've put the HP GPSDO on the standard input, the 1 PPS on channel A and the 10 MHz from the DUT (GPSDO as well) on channel B. This gives something in the range of 2E-9 which looks like the counter resolution, right ? The gating takes 4s and the Time A-B displays a value like 64 E-6
Now if I downmix the channel B to 5 kHz (LO is a DDS Standford & Reseach generator), I have a sinus with lower amplitude and no squarer in my hand at the moment to shape the signal. Anyway, I do the same operation and I get on the display two more digits like xx.xx E-6 but the ADEC is in the range of E-7.... I do not understand at all this fact. Even if the slew rate is not great, I was expecting an improvement.
Note that the values displayed are always changing quite a lot between two samples. For instance with the 5 KHz channel B signal, I can read first sample at 27.11E-6, in the next one is 31.22E-6... which sounds huge, right ?

I've then found an HP5370A and tried the same operation. Unfortunately the 5 kHz output is too low for the HP5370A sensitivity. I need an amplifier or sqauerer here but had no time to build on today.
Si I could not get anything valuable with the HP5370A at the moment...

Stephane