[time-nuts] DDS on AD9852

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jan 17 14:40:07 EST 2015

Hi

The amp you are using has about 18.5 db of gain. It’s a typical self biased transistor style amp. From the part number, it’s got a ~ 1.5 dbm output limit at 1 db compression. That gives you a max input level of  -17 dbm when the amp is in compression. If you want reasonable noise performance, you would stay 10 db below those numbers. That would put you in the -29 dbm range. -20 dbm is 31 mv peak to peak. That’s way below the levels you have running around on your scope displays.

Because these amps are fairly simple in construction, when you drive them with large signals, you upset the bias. That changes the operation point. It can easily lead to all sorts of odd distortion. Before it does that it often leads to increased noise. Typically when you are after a quiet 7  to 10 dbm output (as in low phase noise and low harmonics) you go for at least a 16 dbm (1 db compression) amp and possibly one at 20 dbm. There are exceptions to this, but most of the simple little amps work this way.

Bob