[time-nuts] Ublox 6T receiver, noisy PPS.

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Mon Jan 19 12:27:15 EST 2015

Hi All,

I'll respond to all here, since I'm a little slow at times...

John, This unit has been up and running for at least a month. I've
restarted the GPSDO a few times, but the GPS has remained on. So, if
your unit is up for extended periods of time and you see something
similar, please report back.

Azelio, That spec is much worse than what I've been seeing. Not having a
CS and other equipment it's hard to know exactly how good/bad the GPS
really is. However the TIC in the GPSDO reporting short term (<500s)
differences against the OCXO on the order of +/-3nS Peak (6nS
Peak-Peak). Long term (24 hours) there are furnace/HVAC swings that
appear to push that up to +/- 7nS or 8nS (14 to 16nS Peak-Peak).
About a week ago, those short term levels jumped to +/-25nS Peak (50nS
Peak-Peak). I let it run, over several days saw no improvement. After
the 48hour survey, it dropped back to the 'normal' levels instantly.

Bob, This unit is using sawtooth correction. The saw tooth correction is
on the order of +/-10.3 nS max. It absolutely improves the measurement!
It appears in the log file that the PPS was still getting  corrected. My
feeling is it's doubtful the OXCO was doing it, as the survey in changed
the results.

Do you have a feel for what a 1.8m/6ft error in antenna coordinates
would do PPS results?

Any other insights you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan