[time-nuts] Questions regarding tuning Thunderbolt with Lady Heather

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jan 24 08:45:38 EST 2015

Hi

> On Jan 23, 2015, at 10:58 PM, Skip Withrow <skip.withrow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Nuts,
> I have been playing a bit tuning a Thunderbolt with Lady Heather and now
> have more questions than answers.  The collective time-nut brain would be
> appreciated.
>
> 1. Using the '&' command I can change the damping and time constant in LH.
> Are these values immediately transferred to the TB?

yes, but …

> 2. Do I have to use the LH 'e' command to permenantly save new damping and
> time constant values to the TB?

yes

> 3. After using the '&' and 'e' command the lock-in behaviour of the TB does
> not seem to change.  Is this normal behaviour?  Is one set of values used
> when locking and the adjusted values used once it is phase locked?

only used in phase lock, not in frequency lock or phase alignment.

> 4.Is there some way to read out the values stored in the TB?  When I use
> the 'e' command on the TB, change values in LH, then restart LH and the TB
> I see the last values given to LH, and not what I thought was saved with
> the 'e' command

at least on mine, LH reports the saved values.

> 5. If the TB is placed in hold mode and the DAC set to 0.0 volts it
> actually goes to 0.2 volts (min is at -5, max is at +5, and iv is 0.0 which
> it actually starts at on power up).  Anyone know why?

It will use the stored value if it does not have adequate confidence in the holdover value. In holdover mode it will go back to it’s “best guess” holdover value rather than just locking at the current DAC.

Bob