[time-nuts] Maser on a chip

Bill Byrom time at radio.sent.com
Sun Jan 25 22:00:49 EST 2015

I have a Science subscription so can read the complete paper and
supplementary material. Their current device has about two orders of
magnitude greater linewidth (34 kHz) than the ~400 Hz linewidth
predicted from maser theory. The coherence time is ~9.4 us. They suggest
this is due to charge flunctuations, and show time domain examples of
the I/Q downconverted signal with discontinuities where the device drops
out of masing.

This is a moderately complex experimental setup, with very low signal
levels requiring a superconducting Josephson parametric amplifier for
some measurements at a reasonably S/N. The device maser cavity is
superconducting.

I agree that this is an initial proof of concept demonstrating masing
with quantum dots.
--
Bill Byrom N5BB
Tektronix RF Application Engineer