[time-nuts] Reeeely long term HP 5065A drift rate (13 year!)

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Wed Jul 1 12:03:23 EDT 2015

On 6/30/2015 10:21 AM, cdelect at juno.com wrote:
> Yes, same workbench and location!
>
> How about some of the 5065A owners helping out in a bigger sample?
>
> What I thought is that say on July the 4th a few owners measure their
> frequency offset to say at least 5X10-12th and then without changing the
> C-field for a year we could repeat the measurement next year and see what
> kind of results we get.

Corby, by some quirk of fate I have a 5065A here that has been operating
continuously (apart from the odd power outage of longer than the
batteries could supply) since 2002.  My problem is that I'm not sure how
to get to the degree of accuracy that you ask.  I set it originally
using a really old method, feeding 5MHz from it and another input from a
GPS standard into a DB mixer and plotting the output on a pen recorder,
getting down to better than one cycle error per 24 hours.  A quick check
today on a 2465B 'scope shows an absolutely static trace at the highest
timebase speed.

What measurement method would you recommend, absent a working Caesium
standard and a Timepod?  I have a 5370B somewhere, but nothing more modern.

Dan