[time-nuts] Leap Second results: cheap GPS/1PPS receivers

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jul 1 16:03:50 EDT 2015

time-nuts at febo.com said:
> I am missing something here.  How does one use a 1 PPS signal? I see how I
> can use a 1 MHz or 10 MHz for a time standard but the 1 PPS usage eludes
> me.  Unless the pulse is extremely sharp, a minor uncertainty in the shape
> or amplitude will have profound effects on the timing.

It's a digital signal, not a sine wave.  For a TBolt, it's 10 microseconds
wide.

> I use an HP 5328A with the OCXO and wonder how I can improve its accuracy.

You can't feed it into the ext-osc input, but you can check the calibration
by measuring the time between pulses.  If the measured time is longer than a
second, your internal clock is running slow.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.