[time-nuts] Leap Second results: cheap GPS/1PPS receivers

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 1 23:59:09 EDT 2015

Oh boy Chris, some good information there.  I guess my first step would be to get a GPS disciplined source.  My preference would be to use an external 10 MHz source.  And even if I did, I'd lose it some times of day depending on propagation.  Maybe the 1 pps to set my OCXO as close as I can get it, then recheck every few weeks or months to look for long term drift.  But the gear is already old so aging has likely stabilized.
I assume I can buy a 1 pps source that is practically dead-on accurate and use it when I want to verify my master oscillator.  Maybe you can guide me as to the way to do that with minimum fuss and maximum precision.
The bottom line here is that I have absolutely no use for such precision.  It's just for fun and education.  I am one of those nerds who likes to stare at a counter and see that each successive reading is within one count and even do a mental statistical analysis to decide which digit is closer and by how much.
It's safer and cheaper than hanging out in bars.
Bob