[time-nuts] GPS/UTC time

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 4 20:20:43 EDT 2015

On 7/4/15 12:18 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:

>> (the Japan earthquake in 2011 sped the earth up by 1.8
>> microseconds/day.  The Sumatra quake on 26 Dec 2004 had a bigger
>> effect: 6.8 microseconds)
>
> By my calculations, that should mean the earth rotated 3mm farther/day
> at the equator after Sumatra.
> Anyone know if, or how much, these perturbations affect the orbit of the
> earth or other planets, or where to find out?

The folks at JPL who do these calculations could probably tell you..

http://scienceandtechnology.jpl.nasa.gov/people/r_gross/ is probably
your man.

http://www.iers.org/IERS/EN/Organization/ITRSCombinationCentres/JPL/jpl.html

Off hand, the center of mass of the earth shifted slightly (in addition
to the rotation rate change, there was a axis of rotation change), so
there would be a gravitational effect on other heavenly bodies.

Whether it is measurable is another thing.  That's more of a celestial
mechanics thing.  A different group at JPL who do that, but if you email
Richard Gross, he might tell you who does that.

Jim