[time-nuts] leap second video from NICT Japan

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 6 04:04:43 EDT 2015

Hi,

On 07/05/2015 04:09 PM, dikshie wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 7:52 PM, John C. Westmoreland, P.E.
> <john at westmorelandengineering.com> wrote:
>> Hello Dikshie,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing this.  Wow, not sure we had anything in the US that was
>> comparable - crowd actually applauded.
>

> sorry for wrong url.
> the previous one was 2012.
> the 2015 leap second video is here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQvwMgwTMNs

Nice that it is such a public event as it occurs 9 in the morning, that
it is convenient for everyone to see it. Here it occured 2 in the night,
so even if I where at a the European Time and Frequency Seminars, we all
slept it through.

I at one time had to answer when various countries introduce the
leapsecond, as if it where a national decision, but they failed to
understand that it occurs in the underlying UTC time-scale, so that is
why it shifts in Japan at 9 in the morning.

Thank you for sharing the link. They joy of kids was nice to see. :)

Cheers,
Magnus