[time-nuts] New wrist watch

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Tue Jul 7 03:52:20 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 12:45 AM, D W <watsondaniel3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> With my new found interest in time nuttiness I thought I should upgrade to a decently accurate watch. I had some features I was looking for and settled on a Casio Wave Ceptor. My second choice was an Eco Drive, but the Casio had the right mix of features at a good price.
>
> As I was sitting outside reading the manual after buying it, I laid it flat on the table and started a manual sync to WWVB. The UI is pretty intuitive for having so few buttons and indicators. It quickly told me that it had found a stable signal, and about six minutes later it was synced. Pretty cool.
>
> Anyone know what the drift is like in this watch if it can't find the signal for several days/weeks? I would hope that actual performance is a little better than the +/- 15 sec per month stated in the manual. I should trap it in a faraday bag for a while to test it...

I have a similar watch (the G-Shock GWM850-1 [1]) and have found it to
keep within one second (compared visually to synchronized railway
clocks in the UK and Switzerland) after 2 weeks of no signal.

For reference, I take off the watch when showering but otherwise wear
it continuously so the temperature of the watch is fairly consistent.

They're pretty solid watches, though I find it to be a bit finicky
when signal is marginal during the day: after locking to the signal it
will switch between L1 (the lowest signal strength) and L3 (the
highest) with a period of 20-30 seconds, which means it never syncs.
At night it's much better, and typically syncs after only two minutes.
Still, considering the whole thing fits on one's wrist and runs on a
solar-charged battery, it's remarkably advanced and I recommend it.

Cheers!
-Pete

[1] http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/G-Shock/GWM850-1/

--