[time-nuts] New wrist watch

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jul 7 10:45:40 EDT 2015

D W <watsondaniel3 at gmail.com> writes:

> I had some features I was looking for and settled on a Casio Wave
> Ceptor.

I have a Casio Pathfinder PAW-2000, which syncs to WWVB (and in theory
to 5 other reference stations).

> As I was sitting outside reading the manual after buying it, I laid it
> flat on the table and started a manual sync to WWVB. The UI is pretty
> intuitive for having so few buttons and indicators. It quickly told me
> that it had found a stable signal, and about six minutes later it was
> synced. Pretty cool.

In ~Boston, mine syncs at night, and I have been unable to get it to
manually sync.   At a pub in downton Fort Collins at 1700, it synced
just fine :-)

> Anyone know what the drift is like in this watch if it can't find the
> signal for several days/weeks? I would hope that actual performance is
> a little better than the +/- 15 sec per month stated in the manual. I
> should trap it in a faraday bag for a while to test it...

I would hope that the watch would self-calibrate from the daily syncs,
and adjust the free run rate accordingly, but it doesn't seem to.  I
find that when I travel (to anywhere but near CO) it doesn't sync at
night.  My watch ends up slow pretty reliably, on the order of about a
second per week.  I haven't measured it precisely, mostly because I
don't have a good way to measure from the display.  Perhaps I should use
audio from the on-hour chime.

On mine, syncing can be turned off, but in most places, I suspect you
don't need much of a Faraday cage.