[time-nuts] US export regulations for TICs

Wed Jul 8 00:01:54 EDT 2015

On 2015-07-07 07:28, Attila Kinali wrote:
> As we need a need a proper TIC here to do our research, we are
> going to buy one from ebay form a seller in the US and let a friend
> who is in the US at the approriate time and can pick it up to bring
> it back in the plane.
>
> Now the big question is, are there any export regulations regarding
> such equipment and if yes, where do I find it? (my search didnt show
> up anything approriate). Yes I know it's a boat anchor and that takeing
> it in a plane is kind of iffy, but it's better than shipping it.

Time Interval Meter seems to be the only relevant hit in the CCL at ECCN 3A999.e.2:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&ty=HTML&h=L&n=15y2.1.3.4.45&r=PART#ap15.2.774_12.1
then search for 3A999:

3A999   Specific Processing Equipment, n.e.s., as Follows (See List of Items Controlled).
License Requirements
Reason for Control: AT [i.e. Anti-Terrorism]
Control(s):
Country Chart. AT applies to entire entry. A license is required for items controlled by this entry to North Korea for anti-terrorism reasons. The Commerce Country Chart is not designed to determine AT licensing requirements for this entry. See ยง742.19 of the EAR for additional information. [e.g. Sudan, Iraq, etc.]
List Based License Exceptions (See Part 740 for a description of all license exceptions)
e.2. Multi-channel (three or more) or modular time interval meter and chronometry equipment with resolution of 50 nanoseconds or less over time intervals of 1 microsecond or greater;

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis