[time-nuts] CS frequency standard

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 09:53:39 EDT 2015

As Mark says the tubes have a very finite life. So like him I turn mine on
as needed and every 6 months. My tube is on absolute fumes and is very very
marginal. But it still locks on its own in something like 16 hours with
almost impossible to see beam current.
So if you follow the every 6 months then indeed that CS will last a long
time.
Plus no power consumption and heat generation. How green is that?
Now some might say whats the value of the CS if its not your main reference?
It helps resolve ambiguity between to GPSDOs as an example. Which ones
moving around more. Its great for checking your RB offsets etc.
Few people need the CS on all the time. The other funny thing on the HP
series you can turn the tube off and just use the OCXO after its been
adjusted accurately.
I run my HP 5065a Rb the same way. Power as needed and every 6 months.
So you are very lucky to have a good CS.
Regards
Paul.
WB8TSL