[time-nuts] 60Hz line data

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Fri Jul 10 18:43:39 EDT 2015

Does anyone east of the Rockies have any similar data?

At one time, the US FERC was going to deregulate frequency control to
reduce the amount of fuel used to accelerate in order to catch up. The
billing for power exchanged with a regional network is based on the
number of cycles produced or consumed. That requires producer and
consumer to run at the same frequency. So the deregulation was
abandoned.

California is a net consumer of power. The power is transmitted over the
mountains by high voltage DC tie lines. The DC to AC converters can run
at any frequency (actually phase) required to keep power flowing in the
right direction. Thus it is possible for CA to have 30 second swings
while the rest of the country maintains an exact number of cycles per
day or per year.

At least, that's what I learned from an engineer at a power company in
Philadelphia and Internet searches for CA. It would be interesting to
see what's really going on.

What do other countries do? DC tie lines?

Regards,
Bill Hawkins