[time-nuts] LORAN-C reception in the UK

Iain Young iain at g7iii.net
Sat Jul 11 02:17:56 EDT 2015

On 10/07/15 21:46, ken hartman wrote:
> from:
>
> http://gpsworld.com/eloran-progresses-toward-gps-back-up-role-in-u-s-europe/
>

> “Both Norway and France have declared an intention to cease Loran
> transmissions at the end of 2015. Moreover, France intends to dismantle its
> Loran infrastructure in 2016. Arrangements for the commercial operation of
> the infrastructure are being investigated, but this depends on some form of
> regional agreement. The European Union appears to have no policy for
> resilient PNT, the European Radio Navigation Plan having twice been drafted
> but never published. The view seems to bee that the introduction of Galileo
> will achieve resilient PNT, which it will not.”

Hmm.I knew about Norway (to be honest, the Noreweigan stations being so
far away that I can't hear them anyway), but France ceasing
transmissions is new.

That might be interesting with Anthorn currently a slave to Lessay. I
suspec the "Arrangements for the commercial operation of the
infrastructure are being investigated" means France wants to privatise
the operations.

Anthorn is already privately operated. Hopefully a deal can be done

Iain