[time-nuts] Loran and SRS FS700 in the UK

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sat Jul 11 03:19:57 EDT 2015

Hi Iain

I was also expecting a separate chain and GRI, but yes, 63710 seems to  be
all there is.

Had me scratching my head for a while but for timing purposes at least it's
 just "business as usual":-)

Those extra stations provide the localised corrections that are then
transmitted via the exiasting transmitters.

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR

In a message dated 11/07/2015 07:27:09 GMT Daylight Time, iain at g7iii.net
writes:

On  10/07/15 22:39, GandalfG8--- via time-nuts wrote:
> This is a reply to  the topic "Loran-C reception in the UK" with specific
> emphasis on the  Stanford Research FS700.
> Apologies for starting a fresh topic but I'm  still not able to take
emails
> from the list due to incompatibility  problems with AOL and I don't see
how
> to  reply to an existing  subject directly from the archive, if anyone
knows
> how  to do  this please let me know.
>
> There is an excellent reference to  eLoran in the UK, including
downloadable
>   publications,  starting here......
>  http://www.gla-rrnav.org/radionavigation/eloran/index.html
>
> As  far as I can tell, the Lessay chain, which includes the UK station at
>  Anthorn, is currently transmitting eLoran, with the extra data   channel,
> rather than Loran-C but this is totally backwards compatible  and  the
FS700 runs
> fine here, as does the Austron 2100  series.
> This is why it's difficult to find specific GRIs quoted for  eLoran as
> opposed to Loran-C, it's effectively the same network, using  the same
> transmitters and GRIs.

Right, so GRI 63710. I had  heard a while back that there were some
extra transmitters on the south  coast specifically for eLORAN, but
finding the ED's or if they are on the  same GRI has proved fruitless
so  far.

Iain