[time-nuts] Loran C returning to a station near you...

Wed Jul 15 22:33:22 EDT 2015

Look at how well a couple of projects have gone:

o  privatize NIST NTP server operation - the NTP pool is recommended everywhere
and good enough for most; separate providers supply high accuracy, precision,
and stability timing for financial markets internationally; and GPS serves the rest

o  provide WWVB PM decoders - older precision timing equipment no longer works; but
compatibility for RC "Atomic" clocks and watches was maintained; does not appear
that there is any commercial interest in developing decoders; the new PM features
might as well be dropped, or they could go back to the old AM format.

See also the UT1 NTP service http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/ut1_ntp_description.cfm
which states it will use IERS schedule A data, and may offer only the weekly official
projections rather than the daily rapid predictions, which vary by 0.1ms; they also
mention providing DUT1 and EOP data as a text string from a separate service.
They may be looking at this for a UTC like backup if the ITU drops the leapsecond.

But the US, EU, Russia, China, and Japan can each afford a GNSS constellation,
with upgraded features as desired.
If a country can not provide an adequate market for products, then they will have to
either do without a backup, ormake do with what markets elsewhere demand - eLoran.

OTOH the civil business focus of currently successful projects leads me to hope that the
ITU will be told to leave UTC alone as a legal and political requirement for solar civil
time, use TAI or GPS time if they want to keep to a uniform time scale, or come up with
a better time scale of their own.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis