[time-nuts] OCXO with ADEV of 1E-13 on Pluto Mission

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Fri Jul 17 18:44:19 EDT 2015

What you describe correctly is an art and some luck , there are some
special things that can be done and some trade off's. Low aging vs noise  ...

Ulrich N1UL

In a message dated 7/17/2015 5:56:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
attila at kinali.ch writes:

On Thu,  16 Jul 2015 15:24:08 -0400
"Brian, WA1ZMS" <wa1zms at att.net>  wrote:

> The crystal in the ref osv. came from Bliley. The part  number is BG-61.
> have no idea what the current cost is, but  like most very good
oscillators
> the crystals were hand sorted and  graded.

I had a short chat with Gregory Weaver (the guy behind the USO)  two years
ago.
Basically, they start with a lot of crystal slabs, select  the best ones
after each processing step. In the end, they have maybe a  dozen (or less)
crystals that are then fit into oscillators, which again  are tuned by hand
and selected. The best oscillators are then send onto the  mission.

A fun fact here is, that the oscillators are not tuned for  maximum
Q of the resonator. Instead they are slightly damped and some Q  is
traded for lower noise of the sustaining amplifier.

Another fun  fact is, that the glass housing acts like a getter
when put in vacuum. Thus  the stability increases increases over
time, when the whole system is in  space.

Attila  Kinali

--
It is upon moral qualities that a society is ultimately  founded. All
the prosperity and technological sophistication in the world  is of no