[time-nuts] 60Hz line data

Bill Byrom time at radio.sent.com
Mon Jul 27 00:31:05 EDT 2015

In the early 1970's both LED and LSI integrated circuit technology
advanced to the point that digital wristwatches were introduced. These
used 32,768 Hz crystals. Use of this technology was made in digital desk
clocks (such as alarm radio clocks), but I think that for many years it
was much less expensive to use the AC line as a frequency standard.
Early Mostek clock IC's used the 50/60 Hz powerline as the reference and
didn't include provisions for a crystal.

The first digital clock I owned was a flip card clock radio in around
1970. An AC line powered synchronous motor slowly flipped minute and
hour cards. A few years later I had a Radio Shack LED wristwatch.

I see that 32,768 Hz crystals can now be purchased for US $0.15 each in
lots of 100.

--
Bill Byrom N5BB